Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jon's 26th Birthday at La Caille/Anniversary Inn

Can I just say "spoiled Jon"?




Well I guess not necessarily spoiled because he earned the gift certificates through this bartering company called Tradia. There are hundreds of different business in Utah that barter with Tradia. For example: Jon cleans the carpet in the home of a Tradia customer and charges them $300.00, instead of cash, we get paid in Tradia dollars. Several times a year, different businesses will give Tradia a certain amount of gift certificates and we have the opportunity to purchase them with our Tradia money. So we had gift certificates to Anniversary Inn and La Caille - and we used both of them for Jon's 36th birthday. It was kind of fun to be a little spoiled and pampered for an evening and live the good life.






Jon and I had decided before hand to order Escargot while at La Caille, neither of us had eaten snail before. So it was interesting when the server brought us out these plates with these huge shells on them and this tool. Then we both looked at eachother and were like "uh, how do we eat these". The tool was a strange thing I hadn't seen before and wasn't sure if it was suppossed to crack open the shell. We also had this little fork thing too. So we decided to wait for the server to come back to ask her how to eat them. Then I decided to stick the fork thing inside the opening and did a sweeping motion with it, and out popped this hideous dark blob, it was so big too!




I was hoping not to see the big eye ball tentacle things that stick out of snail's heads or I was never going to eat it. So before I could think too hard about it, I just quickly threw it in my mouth and started chewing as fast as I could. The consistency was strange, I was glad it didn't squeak in my mouth as I chewed, it was actually kind of soft. Thank goodness all I could taste was the garlic butter it was drenched in. Your average dining experience at La Caille takes 3 hours. Personally, I think the place is way too over priced. Jon's fillet mignon was thick, but dry, and for the price of $68 for a fillet and veggies, you'd think it would have to be cooked to perfection! I ordered a pounded flat chicken breast for $49. Salads come with the entre. La Caille is a beautiful building on the most beautiful of grounds, you drive through a beautiful gate and follow a cobble stone drive way up to the main building.






Jon and I have never visited La Caille in the summer when everything is in bloom, but I am sure it's spectacular- so if you ever go, wait until the summer so you can explore the grounds. After La Caille we drove to Anniversary Inn for our Lake Powell adventure. The room was kind of cool, the 5th South Anniversary Inn is located in an old jail from what I've heard. It's the more ghetto Anniversary Inn out of the 4 locations they have, the Logan Anniversary Inn is the nicest one. Our room was cute, felt as if we were in a red rock cave.



I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning watching "Only You". The next morning I met my mom in Farmington and picked up Gage. I thought Gage would think the room was alot of fun and he'd love swimming in the huge tub. Gage was really excited when he walked into the room, he liked the fish tank, and walking up the stairs to the tub area. He loved swimming. Then we made the mistake of pointing out the stuffed iguana lizard sitting on one of the rock outcroppings. Gage did not like it and would tell us "NO". Then all of a sudden I heard this shrill screaming, Jon had lifted Gage up there to show him the lizard wasn't real and Gage completely came unglued and probably woke up every single couple around us - it was 9:00 in the morning. It was a fun birthday for Jon.



4 comments:

Em said...

That story about you guys eating the escargot cracks me up every time. Brad really liked it when we ate it on our cruise, but I wasn't a big fan at all. I agree with La Caille being way overpriced. Seriously...in my opinion, what chicken breast is worth fifty bucks? Oh well, like you said, it's fun to be pampered every once in a while.

big8smiley said...

That sounds like such a fun night! Without the gift certificates I would NEVER indulge in food so pricey. I'm impressed with you trying the escargot! I don't think I could do it. :) I'd definitely throw up. I love the room too - way cool!

Terry Lynn said...

That room looks like a neat room! The stairs looks neat going up. Thanks for getting us a night there. We had a lot of fun.

Nakamoto Ohana said...

Sounds like fun, but could never do the escargot stuff. You are brave.